YOUTH SUMMER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR 2019 ARE FILLED NO LONGER TAKING APPLICATIONS!!
Summer 2019 High School Students Summer deadline was March 1st & interviews conducted over spring break in April. May apply now for summer 2019
- Please calls/emails from student volunteers only not your parents.
- The Volunteer Application appears below (please print and complete & mail to us). If you are a minor your parent must sign as well.
- If you have volunteered with us before you do not need to fill out another application just call Jackie and let her know the job you would prefer and best day and times you are available.
- Most jobs are during the weekdays between 8:30 - 2:00 pm.
- We are closed evenings and weekends. Open M-F 8:30-4:30
- Students 15 and older are accepted during the summers.
- Mail applications to Jackie Johnson, South Brunswick Senior Center, 540 Ridge Road Monmouth Jct, NJ 08852 or contact her at 732 329 4000 x7677
Morning Front Door Greeter
Filled . Sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. 8:30-12:30 shift. Summer 2019 youth FILLED 15+ shift available Mondays & Fridays you work one day per week all of July and August
Afternoon Front Door Greeter
Filled can apply now for adults age 21+ to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Summer 2019 FILLED youth 15+ 12:30-4:30 you work one day week all of July and August
Youth Afternoon Door Greeter School year
Filled HS students from 3:00-4:30 to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center or Gym and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Must work one day week Sept-June. Age 15+.
Fitness Room Attendant-Filled. 9:30-11:30 Wed. or Fri. Looking for persons 21+ with fitness or personal training background (can be retired or college student studying this field) to assist seniors in fitness workout room with about 7 machines on volunteer basis.
Wellness Center Greeters- Filled.Greet seniors entering and exiting Gym room and make sure they have authorization to use the room. Sign them in and then track what machines they use for 20 min each. Adults Sept-June shifts 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-3:00. youth FILLED16+ shifts for students 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-4:30 one day week July and August
Tech Center Assistant- Filled - 10:30-12:30- Help seniors one day week one to one here at the center in our lab of 5 computers from 10:30-12:30pm. Basic word program, email, Facebook, Internet surfing, aid with printing, using Wi Fi, etc would be taught. Students Summer 2019 FILLED Must be 16+ one day week 10:30-1:30 help with computers and Ipads once week July & August.
Municipal Building Receptionist/Greeter-FILLED -in the Municipal Building main lobby 12:30-4:30pm. Greet visitors, direct them to the proper offices, and answer phones. We are always accepting applicants for an on call basis to cover days the person may be away as well. Age 21+ will train on phone system.
Kitchen Meals On Wheels Food packer- FULL Volunteer in the kitchen once a week on 8:30am-12:30pm packing meals that are delivered to homebound seniors daily. As well as serving the senior noon meal. Summer 2019 students FILLED Must be 16 or older for summer 8:30-12:30 once a week in July and August
Special Event/Party Assistant
Summer 2019 July 18th & August 15th FILLED-age 14+ to help set up, clean up and serve lunch at barbecues and 11am-2pm
Interview a senior veteran and then make a scrapbook page for our Veterans Book representing their experiences. All materials provided. Computer access for typing. Schedule is flexible based on when you and the senior are available. usually 2-3 hours the day you come for interview then you may work on page as you have time very flexible. HS Students can do from 3-4:30pm.
Crafts Assistant- -youth Summer 2019 FILLED July 9th, 23rd Aug 6th and 20th 11:45-1:45 to assist seniors in simple craft project.
Indoor games & Ladderball Game summer 2019 FILLED - Tuesdays July 2nd, 16th 30th and August 13th & 27th 10:30-1:30pm-Must be at least 14 years old. Intergenerational program where play with seniors. We will show you how to play the games. Need to be outgoing and engage seniors in playing.
Senior Advisory Council Board Member- Filled for 2019
This is a 13 person board appointed by the Mayor and Council that are involved in the operations of the senior center. Terms begin Jan 1st of each year and are for 3 years. You must be 55+, live in South Brunswick and be a member of the senior center. Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month 10:30-noon at the center. We encourage seniors to attend these meetings to see what is happening and if interested in applying fill out an application that is available in the senior center office. Applications for 2020 will be accepted starting May 2019 until July 1st 2019
Theater Coach/Leader- Available. Looking for someone 21+ with a passion for drama that is willing to lead a group of seniors interested in a theater group.
Horse Races Game -Youth FILLEDSummer 2019 two mondays a month Must attend all days. July 1, July 22 Aug 5, Aug 19th. Run this game with the seniors & other volunteers. You will be taught how to play. Outgoing personality good speaking voice. One person takes leadership role so 16+ others 14+ 11:45-1:30.
Ice Cream Party -Youth Summer 2019 FILLED July 25th and Aug 22nd 11:45am-1:30 make and serve ice cream sundaes to seniors. 14+
Organizing art room cabinets-Youth summer 2019 FILLED Mondays July 8, 15, 22, 29 and August 12, 19, 26 9:15am-11:30. Age 15+ good organizing skills.
EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT IDEAS
1. *TAKEN* -Game-Build an official corn-hole game with bean bags
2. *TAKEN* -Art Project-Make 12 tabletop art easels.
3. Open to any ideas a scout may have
The Senior Center staff are looking for people willing to rake leaves, do light yard work, or shovel snow for seniors must be 21+. Or if scouting group or club must have adult supervision. Call us if interested. Any day or time that you have available is fine. We encourage you to reach out to those in your neighborhood also.
Age 21+. State Health Benefits program. You attend a series of all day trainings for 6-8 weeks once a week given by the county and state and learn all about health benefits. Trainings offered twice per year in different counties. Then you work at the Senior Center as a volunteer as needed assisting seniors.
Training held only once per year in our area. Call Christine 732-329-4000 x7682 if interested. Must attend all sessions from 9am-3pm. Free parking. Bring own lunch.
IN THE FALL
Location - Middlesex County Fire Academy - 1001 Fire Academy Drive, Sayreville, NJ 08872
If interested, contact John Siwczak 609-438-4795 at the county to resister and complete necessary paper work
The Position Description is as follows:
Overall Goal and Desired Impact on Community Upon Accomplishing This Goal:
- Education and assistance to Medicare Beneficiaries
- Reduction in stress of Medicare beneficiaries concerning their Medicare coverage.
- Helping Medicare beneficiaries avoid spending more money than they have to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completion of Client Contact and Public and Media Activity Forms.
- Explanation and comparison of Medicare Supplement insurance with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation of Medicare Parts A and B benifits
- Referrals to other available services.
- Casework- Troubleshooting issues with Medicare (Parts A,B,C and D), Medigap employer group coverage, ect.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Good organization skills
- Ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to independently resolve problems.
- Commitment to provisions of SHIP Memorandum of Understanding
- Bi-lingual ability a plus.
- Minimum of 10 hours per month
Benefits to Volunteer Counselors:
- Mental Stimulation
- Fulfillment from helping others
- Knowledge gained that is helpful to the community
- flexible SHIP work schedule - days of week and times of day
- Camaraderie with other Ship counselors.
“The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a statewide program administered by the New Jersey Department of Human Services with financial assistance through a grant from the U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL).”